Krishna is usually regarded as the eight incarnation of lord Vishnu and was born in the Dvarpara Yuga as the “dark one”. Lord Krishna is the embodiment of love and divine joy, that destroys all pain and sin. He is the protector of sacred utterances and cows. Krishna is an instigator of all forms of knowledge and born to establish the religion of love.Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is the speaker of the Bhagavad-gita, which is recognized throughout the world as one of mankind’s greatest books of wisdom and poetry.
Krishna was born as the 8th child of Devaki, sister of the cruel demon king Kamsa. The sage Narada had predicted that Kamsa would be killed by his nephew, so the king killed Devaki´s first six children. The 7th, Balarama escaped and the 8th, Krishna, was secretly exchanged for a cowherds daughter.The stories of Krishnas’ life range from before he was born through a series of adventures as he matured into adulthood, his encounters with demons and how he helped his family, demigods, friends and strangers. His life as told in stories shows how human some of his behavior was; his mischievous activities as an infant and flirting with the Gopis as a youth.In his youth Krishna killed Kamsa along with all his cruel associates, liberated his parents from prison, and reinstated Ugrasen as the King of Mathura.
Here are some unknown and fun facts about Lord Krisha:
- Lord Krishna has total of 108 names. Some of which famous names are Gopal, Govind, Devakinandan, Mohan, Shyam, Ghanshyam, Hari, Baanke Bihari, Girdhari etc.
- Krishna had 16,108 wives. Out of which eight were princely queens and he had 80 sons in all. 10 sons from each of these eight wives.
- Pradyumana, the son of Lord Krishna was Kamdeva who was turned into ashes in his earlier life by Lord Shiva.
- Rukmini, the wife of Lord Krishna is considered to be an avatar of Goddess Laxmi.
- Pandavas were maternal relatives to Krishna. Arjuna married krishna’s sister.
- He breathed his last when a hunter’s arrow hit His toe.
- Krishna’s skin colour was dark, not blue.
- Sudarshan Chakra was lord Krishna’s powerful weapon. He used it with restraint. His weapon looked like a sharp disc with exactly 108 sharp edges to it.
- Many of us don’t know that Ekalavya was none other than the cousin of Lord Krishna.
- Krishna was cursed by Queen Gandhari, which led to his death and the destruction of his dynasty.
- There are conflicting reports about whether Radha, Krishna’s consort, was mentioned at all in ancient scriptures.
- One of the unknown facts about Lord Krishna is that Hanuman was also present when Bhagvad Gita was narrated to Arjuna. He was present as an emblem on the chariot’s flag.
- Krishna is mysterious, wise, intelligent, charismatic and complex. No one can understand him completely.
- Krishna was the first person who told Karna about the secret of his birth.
- As we know, Krishna was the eighth child of his mother, Devaki. The seventh one was Balrama. He also brought other six sons of Devaki for a reunion. These six sons were the grandsons of Hirnakashyap who were suffering from a curse.