Teej is one of the most popular festivals for every woman. Teej is the fasting festival of women in Nepal. Married women observe Teej fast to honor Lord Shiva and for long and healthy life of their husband. Unmarried girls also observe fast on this day for a good husband. Teej celebrations last for three pious days. Teej is the important festivals for woman. In this day, every women looks beauty by wearing red saris, green bangles. They look colorful with beautiful dresses. Women on this day observe Hartalika Teej vrat (fast) and pray to Lord Shiva and Parvati. Women keep this fast without water and stay awake the whole night.
Some reasons for celebrating Haritalika Teej
- It is assumed that fasting in teej without water and pray to lord Shiva may help to bring good husband.
- Women read the Vrat Katha to get blessings of Goddess Parvati.
- It is believed that those who observe the fast of Hartalika Teej, Lord Shiva fulfill all the desires of those devotees.
- Married women celebrate Teej for wellness of their husbands and unmarried celebrate for achieving the love of their husbands and making the life of their husbands secured.
- To bring their happiness of their love life.
- To wish long life of their husband.
- Teej refers to the monsoon festivals and it celebrates the bounty of nature, arrival of clouds and rain, greenery and birds with social activity, rituals and customs.