Shravan falls on the fifth month of the Hindu calendar. This month is considered to be the holiest month of the year as many religious festivals and ceremonies fall in this month.This month is dedicated to the worship and reverence of Lord Shiva. Devotees observe fasts during Shravan Month to please Lord Shiva.
Monday is the special day for Lord Shiva. That is why; every Monday that comes in the month of Shravan is extremely auspicious. On the Shravan Somvars, women fast and do puja of Lord Shiva. Shravan Somvar is very important for the devotees of Lord Shiva’s. On this special day, devotees show their respect by observing a fast from sunrise to sunset. The fasts done on Monday are known as Shravan Somwar Vrat. It is believed that by observing Sravan Somvar Vrat all desires gets fulfilled. It is believed that if unmarried women keep fast on Mondays of the month they would get a good husband.
Rules to be observed during Shrawan Month
The following practices are strictly followed by many during Shravan:
- Using Rudraksh mala for Japa or meditation.
- Offering Lord Shiva bhibuthi and applying some on the forehead.
- Making offerings of bel leaves, panchamrut to lord Shiva.
- Performing fast on mondays to seek the blessings of lord Shiva. It is strongly believed that, if women fast on all mondays in Shrawan month, they will be blessed with a good husband.
- Reciting Shiva Chalis and offer aarti.