Limbini lies in the Rupandehi district of Lumbini zone of western Nepal. It is 20 Km from the Gautam Buddha airport, Siddhartha Nagar and 27 km. from the Indian Border, Sunauli. It is also known as Tilaurakot in which Buddha was born.
Buddha is known as the peace of Nepal. Buddha always want peace. The Buddha who is the founder of the Buddhist religion is called Buddha Shakyamuni “Shakya” is the name of the royal family into which he was born and “Muni” means “Able One.” Buddha Shakyamuni was born as a royal prince in 624 BC in a place called Lumbini, in what is now Nepal. His mother’s name was Queen Mayadevi and his father’s name was King Shuddhodana.
Lumbini in the earliest time
Buddhist literature places lumbini between Sakya kingdom of Kapilvastu and Koliya kingdom of Devadaha to the east. Twenty eight km. east of lumbini lies Tiraulakot, the capital of the Sakyas and thirty two km east of Lumbini is Devadaha, the capital of the Koliyas. It was a beautiful pleasure or recreation garden collectively maintained by both the kingdoms during the lifetime of the lord Buddha. In modern time, we can see lots of beauties in limbini because it is improving day by day.
Birth Place of Lumbini
Lumbini is the birth Place of Buddha which is becoming very famous places of Nepal in the recent time. Buddha Has had done lots of work in this place so we still remember his every thing that remain in the limbini. Lumbini is one of the holy places for Buddhists region. Maya Devi, the queen of King Suddhodana of Kapilavastu on her way to her maternal home Devadaha for the delivery of her first child arrived Lumbini. Attended by the service providers while walking slowly and enjoying the peace, tranquility and solace of the Lumbini garden with the child in her womb suddenly she felt the labor pain. Realizing the time of delivery she bathed in the Sakya Puskarani located almost center of the garden. Lumbini is situated at the foothills of Himalayas in the Terai plains of southern Nepal. The main shrines of Lumbini are the newly restored Mayadevi Temple, the Ashokan Pillar behind the temple and the Lake Shakya Puskarini where Mayadevi is said to have bathed before delivering the little Buddha into the world. The birth place of lumbini is too much beautiful which is becoming the famous place of Nepal and its beauty attracting the tourists day by day. There was a beautiful garden with Asoka tree and full of flowers and she hold a branch of that tree.This sacred garden of Lumbini was blessed by the birth of the future Buddha. All of sudden, all trees burst into flowers and shared beauty and fragrance. Jeweled lotus bloomed with the heavenly lights and sounds of the celestial palace.The birth of the auspicious and incredible child was welcomed and received by Indra and Brahma (two Brahmani cal Gods).Luxurious European & Japanese hotel is facilitated for tourist and pilgrims in lumbini. There are budget class hotel and guest houses in all foreign and Nepali monasteries.
Some important things to see in this area:
- The Lumbini Garden – This is the site marked by a stone pillar (Ashoka Pillar) erected by the Indian Emperor Ashoka at about 245 B.C. The historical pillar was erected by Emperor Asoka in 249 BC bears the first epigraphic evidence with reference to the birthplace of Lord Buddha. The most important discovery in this place is a stone marked to suggest the exact birthplace of Buddha.
- The Buddhist temple; the monastery of the Buddhist temple is built inside the surrounding complex of Lumbini in the manner of modern Buddhist shrines in Nepal. The prayer-hall contains a big image of lord shakyamuni Buddha in the medieval style.
- Mayadevi Temple – This temple dedicated to the mother of Lord Buddha, Maya Devi, was excavated a few years ago. Many sculptures and carvings in which the figures and designs are only slightly projecting from their background are seen here.
- Lumbini has many new monasteries and Stupas which is built by Buddhist communities from around the world. Besides the Nepal Buddha Temple and the Dharma swami Buddhist monastery, many other countries like Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam, France, Germany and Burma (name all countries) etc. have built their own temples and monasteries.
- Lumbini also has a museum and a research center for Buddhism.