The Sanskrit word vastu means a dwelling or house with a corresponding plot of land. The vrddhi, vāstu, takes the meaning of “the site or foundation of a house, site, ground, building or dwelling-place, habitation, homestead, house”. The underlying root is vas “to dwell, live, stay, reside”. The term shastra may loosely be translated as “doctrine, teaching”.Vastu-Sastras (literally, science of dwelling) are ancient Sanskrit manuals of architecture. These contain Vastu-Vidya (literally, knowledge of dwelling).
Vastu is an age old practise of following certain rules to develop and maintain buildings that promises to harness the natural positive energies surrounding us. This age old practice of Indian civilization delivers wonderful results and makes the life of its practitioners successful, prosperous and peaceful.The best time to start paying attention to Vastu would be when you are constructing your house. Vastu specifies certain rules about constructing the building which can be naturally implemented only at the time of construction. Vastu is a huge subject dealing with all the nooks and crannies of harnessing positive energy inside the building and in our lives.
As per vastu shastra, different directions belong to different Gods that supervise respective sectors of the house. For example, God supervises Eshan or North-East direction and hence is best suitable for prayer room; Agni (Fire element) supervises South-East direction and hence is best suitable for Kitchen. This means that if various sections and activities related to each section of a house, office, shop etc. stick to principles of vastu shastra then, we start to draw the power of nature effortlessly and achieving goals is easy, spontaneous and effortless.
Many rules of vastu shastra are simple common sense as they relate to ventilation, amount and quality of sunlight a building receives etc. But some principles of vastu shastra relate to energy field of earth and subtle energy fields in natural and constructed environments. Also, people living/working in such buildings have appreciated and verified the effects of these fields.
Vastu Shastra are the textual part of Vastu Vidya, the latter being the broader knowledge about architecture and design theories from ancient India. Vastu Vidya knowledge is a collection of ideas and concepts, with or without the support of layout diagrams, that are not rigid. Rather, these ideas and concepts are models for the organization of space and form within a building or collection of buildings, based on their functions in relation to each other, their usage and to the overall fabric of the Vastu.Ancient Vastu Shastra principles include those for the design of Mandir (Hindu temples),and the principles for the design and layout of houses, towns, cities, gardens, roads, water works, shops and other public areas.
Building Bedroom according to Vastu
Building Bedroom according to VastuVastu Shastra is very important as bedroom is the place for privacy and total relaxation. A bedroom is the place where we retire after strenuous day’s job to relax and have a sound sleep to gain energy for the next day. Vastu Shastra for Bedroom has been given a very high priority and significance.
- As per Vastu for Master Bedroom, it should always be in the South-West corner of the home and head of the family must occupy this bedroom.
- The master bedroom should always be bigger than other rooms of the house.
- If the house is multi-story then master bedroom in the South-West corner of the top floor is best.
- Perfect place for bed in master bedroom is towards South or West wall, so that while sleeping the person’s head is towards South or West and legs towards North or East.
- Bed alignment to any corners is unsuitable.
- West or North side is suitable for attached bathroom, changing room or bath tub etc.
- The bathroom should not face the bed directly and the door of the bathroom must always be kept closed.
- East, North or West walls are best spot for entrance door of master bedroom.
- East or North walls are good for windows in the bedroom.
- If a mirror is in the bedroom with/without dressing table then make sure than none of the body part is visible in the mirror while sleeping on the bed, else the same body part will develop medical problems.
- Use light rose, gray, blue, chocolate, green etc as wall colors for bedroom.
Stay away from use of marble stones (white and yellow colored) in the newly married couple’s bedroom.
Building Kitchen according to Vastu
Vastu for kitchen is important since kitchen represents the “Fire” element.
- Avoid kitchen directly under or above pooja/prayer room.
- Do not have kitchen directly under or above toilets.
- Avoid kitchen directly under or above bedroom.
- Do not place cooking gas burner or stove directly in front kitchen’s entrance door.
- Do not have main door of kitchen in any corners; place it in East, North or West wall.
- Kitchen in South-West leads to clashes among family members.
- A kitchen in North-West direction is acceptable but it leads to increase in monetary expenditure.
- Most dangerous kitchen is the one placed in North direction; as North is Lord Kubera’s (the God of Wealth) direction, having kitchen in North will increase expenditure of family beyond expectations and control.
- Never face west while cooking as this leads to severe health problems to the cook.
- If – while cooking – the cook faces south then family has to face monetary losses.
- Avoid black color for kitchen wall and flooring.
- Avoid keeping refrigerator in North-East direction.
Building Study Room according to Vastu
- Place study room in West, East or North-East of a home.
- Student, while reading must face either East or North direction.
- Provide windows in learning area in East, North or West wall.
- Provide doors of study room in North-East, North, East or West.
- Avoid doors in South-East, North-West and South-West corners of Study Room.
- Do not sit below beam while reading.
- Study place should have ample amount of light.
- Student should not face blank wall or window while learning.
- Space between student and wall in front facilitates open mentality and new ideas come to mind.
- A solid wall behind student signifies support.
- Avoid toilets in study place as far as possible.
- Provide a bathroom in reading room.
- Provide book rack or book shelf in East or North wall of reading area.
- If books are kept in South-West corner, then they remain untouched.
- The books kept in North-West corner gets stolen by someone.
- The book shelf should never be located over or above study table.
- Use square or rectangular study table for best results.
- Vastu for reading room suggests that room should have images of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Saraswati.
Building Toilet/Bathroom according to Vastu
- Water closet (commode) should preferentially be aligned to North-South axis in toilet.
- Build toilets in West or North-West side of north of a room depending upon whether toilet is with bedroom or separate.
- Toilets can also be constructed on South side.
- Place commode inside the toilet in West, South or North-West side of West.
- Fit the pot, in toilet, in such a way that while using the commode the person never faces East or West.
- Construct toilet 1-2 feet higher than ground level.
- You can have entrance door of the toilet on East or North wall.
- The flooring of toilet should slope towards East or North so that water drains from these sides.
- Store water, taps etc. in East, North or North-East.
- Color walls of toilet as desired, but prefer light colors.
- Do not have water closet, in toilet, above or under pooja room, fire or bed place.
- Avoid toilets in center, North-East or South-West corners of home.